Tuesday 8 January 2019

Organising playing aids


I’m pleased to publish a guest article by Simon Jones, a reader of this blog who has a very systematic scheme for organising playing aids.


This is the kind of thing I make up for games we play regularly. I just grab the box and go - they are all labelled.


I complete unit info in Excel and can amend and add info to make new unit sheets easily. I laminate these, and QRFs etc. I can then reuse them with water soluble pens.


The bag contains dice, tokens etc. The box has tape measures (cheap in B&Q, but any other brand will do), other gaming bits and pens.


If I can every now and then I find a cheap extra copy of the rules. It helps when people sit in on games.


You can find extra bits like unit cards on the Internet. I laminate and make up this kind of stuff as well. I have started adding movement bases to boxes as well now.





For Poseidon's Warriors I even have the ships included in my rules box.

So I have boxes for:
  • Congo
  • 7TV first (DVD size box) and second editions
  • TMWWBK (Rebels & Patriots will probably share this box)
  • The Pikeman’s Lament
  • Dragon and Lion Rampant (although I do not play LR)
  • One Hour Wargames and The Lamps are Going Out early WW1 Rules
  • Poseidon's Warriors
  • Just started a box for One Hour Skirmish Games and What a Tanker

You can obviously reuse boxes etc when no longer needed. To be honest the cost is not great. I know I have everything to play easily to hand and portable.

No comments:

Post a Comment