Thursday 14 September 2017

Rommel: Maximum base sizes for 4" hexes?

I thought I'd better test my 40mm square basing idea more rigorously in order to ensure there is enough wiggle room when the surrounding hexes are occupied.

These are actually 40mm x 25mm bases which were surplus from another project. I'm not intending to use these as they don't have enough depth. When more than one Company occupies a hex and they attack a neighbouring hex they can easily be placed in column and pushed across the hex edge to distinguish them from non-attacking companies. There is plenty of room.

40mm x 30mm bases. Still enough room IMO.

40mm x 40mm. These are too crowded.
That conclusively establishes that if using Hexon I need to aim for 40mm x 30mm bases for optimum effect. Now the bases...


40mm x 30mm steel, 40mm x 25mm MDF. The exposed steel area on the back is for mounting a removable magnetic plastic or other label. The MDF is the old mechanically-cut variety. I would now of course use laser-cut MDF.

6 comments:

  1. I think 40 x 20, 25 or 30 are useful sizes with Hexon. Kallistra sell these bases in plastic. They are of course uniform and have ever so slightly rounded corners (i.e. soft corners).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago I used balsa or even card for bases. Now I use MDF and steel, but I've never used plastic...

      Delete
  2. Only just discovered your blog. Excellent stuff! I look forward to leisurely look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, be my guest. I don't think I've seen your blog before either. You present some superb examples of painting and modelling.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of leaving some exposed metal for a magnetic label. I might need to borrow/steal that idea from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I wasn't sure how to approach this. Now it seems obvious!

      Delete