Saturday 28 December 2013

Light box for photographing miniatures

I thought it was time to improve the photos of miniatures used here so I knocked up a simple light box. There are loads of articles on how to do it if you Google for them.

I used an old cardboard box. I cut widows in the top and sides and covered them with tracing paper. This diffuses the light. The white card inside is curved and produces a continuous bottom and back surface. I suppose this took me about an hour to make.

I already have a desk lamp with a daylight bulb which I will use to light the box from above. Ideally I would also have lamps at the sides. This should provide a good environment. Improving my photography will require more study and experiment.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea. Personally I have a difficult time taking pictures. Either to much light or not enough. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. Making one of these is very worthwhile. But as I posted elsewhere, the tracing paper gives a grey cast. I've now made a larger one using tissue paper. The only problem with that is fragility: it's all too easy to stick your fingers through the tissue paper when picking it up!

    ReplyDelete