Tuesday 15 February 2022

To the Strongest! - first game

 

I put on and umpired a game of To the Strongest! at my local wargames club. Bernard commanded the Huns and allies (left) while Ian had the Romans and allies (right).

The Allans flanked the Ostrogoths (top) and the Visigoths pushed back the Huns (bottom). In the centre the Romans and their Frankish and other Germanic opponents traded blows fairly evenly.

I had already gone through some moves in a solo game a few days before, so I had a reasonable grasp of how the game is played. I don't think we forgot anything or made any mistakes. The players were quick to pick up the flow.

Most importantly my wargaming comrades enjoyed playing and have a positive view of the game, endorsing my own optimism and paving the way to play the game in the future.

The photo above shows the situation at the end of five game turns. The figures are all 15mm from my collection. The Allans are proxies.

The game didn't reach a decision but the Huns were under pressure. 

I'll be sorting out some Feudal era armies for the next game and we'll play with slightly fewer units and just two commands a side while we're becoming more familiar with the rules.

4 comments:

  1. Nice. I enjoyed TtS! the times I played it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got drama which is always good for a club game, especially if it is multiplayer.

      Delete
  2. I have played TtS quite a bit and it usually provides a fun game and reaches a conclusive result, which can be an issue with many other rulesets! It allows some rather odd thing to happen sometimes but it's still entertaining

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a very large chance factor but I suppose that's what generates the excitement. People tend to accept that, unless they're losing!

      Delete