Saturday 9 December 2017

Rebasing 28mm figures for The Men Who Would Be Kings

Based and ready to go
So here I am with a growing collection of second-hand Zulu War figures from different sources, all based individually but not in the same way. Rebasing is a priority, mainly so they can be safely stored, transported and used, but also to give the figures a more common look (once textured and grassed).

First step is to remove the existing bases. Card bases are easily weakened by standing them in water, but other bases have been an absolute pain to get off.

The new bases are simply 2p coins. These cost, well, 2p, and are cheaper than steel discs or even MDF. 'Copper' coins were originally bronze but since 1992 they have been copper-coated steel and are attracted to the magnetic plastic sheets which I use to line my storage containers - A4 Really Useful Boxes. 

At some point, of course, I will be adding filler, sand and foliage, but the figures are ready to use. All I need now is more of them.

4 comments:

  1. TMWWBK’s is a good set of rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't played it yet but I'm pretty confident about it, and with individual basing and 1:1 representation one always has the option of switching to other rules, not that I expect to do so.

      I've been expecting someone to tell me I could play 'Skirmish Kings' with half-sized units, i.e. using the figures I've already got, but it does change the dynamic of the game and is, perhaps, less spectacular, so I'm waiting before presenting the game to other local players as first impressions are crucial when the number of potential fellow players is limited.

      Delete
  2. I am a big fan of 2p coins for basing...always with the head on the upside (better surface for the glue!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the figures were already on 1p coins but they're just not as stable. To be honest I haven't noticed much difference between heads and tails. I'm using UHU to stick the figures. By the time you've applied a blob to each surface, they go tacky and you push them together, I haven't noticed the coin surface being an issue. (I also use UHU for 15mm figures, but PVA for 6mm and 10mm).

      Delete