Saturday 28 February 2015

Reorganising my 6mm Napoleonics for Blucher

The publication of Sam Mustafa's Blücher sent me sorting through my old boxes of Heroics 6mm Napoleonics which I first started accumulating in, I think, the early 80s.

The core of the collection are Austrians for Aspern-Essling 1809, all historically organised in 18-figure battalions. The rest are a more miscellaneous collection of Austrians and French bought off eBay and rather horribly flocked IMO. The Austrian uniforms are not quite in period with my original figures and the French infantry seem to have rather a jumble of uniforms on each base, but I'm past seeing that level of detail and past caring about that level of accuracy.

6mm figures on 3.5" x 2.5" bases
They will all need rebasing and I may need to get more French artillery. Basing will be key to unifying the collection and making the models look better. The ground, after all, is the main thing that people will see. The default base size in the new rules is a massive 3.5" x 2.5", but I understand that the game still fits a 6' x 4' table, a very sensible maximum by British standards.

As the bases represent brigades or larger it seems preferable to me to have at least two groups of figures on each. The most obvious option is to put two battalions in line, one behind the other, with a few skirmishers out front.

At first, I had thought about scaling down the bases and table to create a more compact game. The armies were originally destined for playing Sam's Grand Armée rules and were going to be put on 2" square bases. But then I decided to see what they'd look like on the full size Blücher bases. This gives each brigade a bit of manoeuvre space, rather like the game's printed unit cards, and I now think that the dioramic approach is the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment